5.x Local Development

David Martin
Thoughts on doing this welcome

TLDR
* Move the mcp-standalone repo to Aerogear github org
* remove the mcp server
* remove the mcp-standalone service from the Android, iOS & Cordova APBs
* remove the Mobile Tab from the UI
* use the remaining ansible stuff for local development

Goals of a 5.x local development environment
* environment for developing services
* a running OpenShift for developing the CLI against
* ability to develop the OpenShift UI with a quick feedback loop
* has the Service Catalog & OpenShift Ansible Broker (for developing APBs)

DETAILS
Move the mcp-standalone repo to Aerogear github org
* part of the overall shift to the aerogear community, and drawing a line under the 5.x POC work

Remove the mcp server
* the mcp server is not going to be continued
* it was providing some smarts around openshift, which will ultimately live in APBs or the CLI/UI

Remove the mcp-standalone service from the Android, iOS & Cordova APBs
* See last point as the server is not required
* these App APBs will just need to create a mobile app representation in OpenShift e.g. a ConfigMap or Mobile App CRD [1] (Separate proposal/discussion for switching to a CRD)

Remove the Mobile Tab from the UI
* Working with UX people, the Mobile tab is not the route we're taking
* Mobile will become more relevant on the main OpenShift Overview page
* UI development can continue similar to before (via UI extensions) until a decision is made about how mobile bits make it into the Openshift Web Console

Use the remaining ansible stuff for local development
* The ansible playbooks & roles in this repo are very useful for setting up openshift with the ansible service broker

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: 5.x Local Development

Matthias Wessendorf
+1 on all of that

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Project lead AeroGear.org

Re: 5.x Local Development

Wojciech Trocki
+1

* remove the mcp server

Can we move that to new attic organization to have future reference if needed?

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Re: 5.x Local Development

John Frizelle
I wonder about renaming mcp-standalone as part of the move - perhaps to "mobile-core" or similar.

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 15 December 2017 at 11:32, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Renaming sounds good to me.

So initially, this repo would have:
- APBs for Mobile Apps
- Ansible playbooks for bringing up local openshift cluster with service-catalog & ansible broker
- UI code for Mobile bits in the OpenShift Web Console

i'm good with mobile-core as it's a good starting point for developers

On 15 December 2017 at 11:35, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [aerogear-dev] 5.x Local Development

Matthias Wessendorf-2

On Fri 15. Dec 2017 at 12:54, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

* remove the mcp server

Can we move that to new attic organization to have future reference if needed?

for me the attic is really for old AeroGear stuff

How about we fork 'mcp-standalone' into aerogear, and work on it there - while keeping the original repo (archived / read-only) in feedhenry ?

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

Re: [aerogear-dev] 5.x Local Development

David Martin
Fork & archive sounds good to me.

I'll plan to progress these changes on Monday, with a name of 'mobile-core' for the new repo, unless further discussions happen before then

On 15 December 2017 at 13:27, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri 15. Dec 2017 at 12:54, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

* remove the mcp server

Can we move that to new attic organization to have future reference if needed?

for me the attic is really for old AeroGear stuff

How about we fork 'mcp-standalone' into aerogear, and work on it there - while keeping the original repo (archived / read-only) in feedhenry ?

--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: [aerogear-dev] 5.x Local Development

David Martin
Making these changes this today.
I'll send out another mail with any instructions required once complete.

On 15 December 2017 at 14:01, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Regarding this step,

* remove the mcp-standalone service from the Android, iOS & Cordova APBs

I'll be moving the App APBs to their own individual repos in the aerogearcatalog github org.

Reasons:
* All other APBs are in the aerogearcatalog org now
* The 3 App APBs were responsible for provisioning the mcp-standalone server. There is no longer a mcp-standalone server, so the need to have them in the same repo as that server has gone.

On 18 December 2017 at 09:30, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Regarding this step,

* remove the mcp-standalone service from the Android, iOS & Cordova APBs

I'll be moving the App APBs to their own individual repos in the aerogearcatalog github org.

Reasons:
* All other APBs are in the aerogearcatalog org now

nice!
I've slightly modified the build settings

Added the "/^[0-9.]+/" regex for TAGs: once we push any tag to GH - it will automatically trigger a matching Docker Hub tag

github: https://github.com/matzew
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] 5.x Local Development

David Martin
Thanks Matthias.
That makes sense.

I've finished with what I set out to do now.
The new repo is available here https://github.com/aerogear/mobile-core,
but I'll start a new thread for ironing out any issues with it, and giving more context on what's changed.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Matthias.
That makes sense.

I've finished with what I set out to do now.
The new repo is available here https://github.com/aerogear/mobile-core,
but I'll start a new thread for ironing out any issues with it, and giving more context on what's changed.

+1 for a new thread ;-)