Any idea of support file storage in Dyno

Any idea of support file storage in Dyno

Keyang Xiang
As subject, in RHMAP Dyno, if an app dependency needs to store files to filesystem (most likely config, user data, session data) while it is not possible to port to mongodb, is there a stable place to persist those files?

~Keyang

Re: Any idea of support file storage in Dyno

Wojciech Trocki
Currently platform supports 4 types of storage engines ( correct me if I'm wrong):

- Mongodb
- GridFS (mongo based)
- Cache (Redis)
- Temp local file storage (wiped on deploy)

All engines may be used to hold config, user data, session data
At the moment all files stored on local filesystem from node.js app would be removed with the next deploy.
Even storing them outside application source folder would not help because running container can be killed anytime without backup etc.

First idea I have in mind where DevExp team can help is to build DataStore service for RHMAP platform that would allow to load/store any file without worrying where is stored and how it's backed up by platform.
This would allow developers to spin up service within project. Stored data would be available to all cloud apps and services.
DataStore service can use underlying GridFS storage with help of Redis as cache. Another step would be to provide service client that would allow you to interact with files using CRUD operations.
As we can imagine there may be so many usages for this storage so we definitely do not want to provide something that would not be covered by backups or would be forgotten when moving clusters.

WDYT?

Regards

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Keyang Xiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
As subject, in RHMAP Dyno, if an app dependency needs to store files to filesystem (most likely config, user data, session data) while it is not possible to port to mongodb, is there a stable place to persist those files?

~Keyang

Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile