Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

David Martin
Hi all,

As per Jason's mail with subject 'MCP PoC - Sprint 5 Goals',
the Goal of the 5.x team current sprint [0] is:

"looking into 3scale apicast fronting Sync and KeyCloak"

This Goal is actually 2 sub-goals.
- Put 3Scale in front of Sync, using App ID/App Key authentication
- Put 3Scale in front of Sync, using OpenID Connect authtentication via

To give some context, the 3Scale integration will require/involve:
- having a 3Scale SaaS account on 3scale.net (90 day trial accounts are available)
- provisioning the 3Scale gateway (APICast) via the Service Catalog in OpenShift
- MCP will autoconfigure your 3Scale SaaS a/c for sitting in front of Sync with App ID/Key authentication
- APICast will make a call to 3Scale SaaS on startup to get it's confguration for doing authentication & proxying to Sync

I propose that for this sprint we only focus on the first of these sub-goals.
The OpenID Connect authentication integration can be deferred.

Rationale for this proposal:
- the OpenID Connect authentication option is currently not generally available in 3Scale SaaS (may be in the near future, based on activity on the apicast repo [1])
- the Keycloak service will need to be publicly accessible to 3Scale SaaS to allow it to configure the necessary client(s) in your Keycloak

Thoughts & comments welcome
Thanks

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

Joe O'Reilly
Thanks David,

re. Jason's mail - Where was that sent (not sure myself or Nano received it)?

As for the rest - looks fine, the only Q I have is where this leaves the integration of the BuildFarm effort?

Thanks,

Joe.

--
Joe O'ReILLY

GLOBAL PRODUCT MANAGER

Red Hat Mobile

Red Hat :  Communications House,

Cork Road, Waterford City, Ireland X91NY33

[hidden email]    M: +353 878205731

TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.

Re: Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

Craig Brookes
@Joe build farm issues are at the top of the backlog for the remaining work. So if the integration for 3scale goes well they will be the first ones brought in to the sprint

Craig

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Joe O'Reilly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[hidden email]    M: <a href="tel:+353%2087%20820%205731" value="+353878205731" target="_blank">+353 878205731

TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.

--
Craig Brookes
RHMAP

Re: Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

David Martin
Hey Joe,

re: "re. Jason's mail - Where was that sent (not sure myself or Nano received it)? "

There were a mail sent out by Jason in the last day summarising the Build Farm integration sprint (Sprint 4), and the 3Scale integration sprint plans (Sprint 5).
Both were sent out to feedhenry-dev (like this mail).
Maybe you have it filtered? (i cc'd you directly on this one, which may be why you saw it)

Here is an archive of the mail anyways

On 11 October 2017 at 13:24, Craig Brookes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Guys,

I didn't get for the mail that "the working debug build" was still included - so this is fine (& covers what we'd discussed).
& further updates to the BF can follow on after API...

Thanks,

Joe.

On 11 October 2017 at 13:31, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Frizelle
@Joe - as we are still in a POC phase, we are trying to explore and de-risk as mush as possible. The build Farm is a known quantity and we now have a steel thread.

By comparison, 3Scale and where/how it fits is a pretty big unknown at the moment - hence the prioritisation to explore and de-risk this integration.

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

[...]

Jason Madigan

[...]

Engineering Manager, Red Hat Mobile

Re: Change of Scope for 3Scale/APICast Integration for 5.x

David Martin
I've updated the current sprint to :
- close out the OIDC investigation issue https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FH-4224
- move the follow up issue https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FH-4235 to the backlog, as the OIDC integration is being defferred