FeedHenry Desktop Bridge

supittma
Administrator
WhatsApp and Allo are both messaging applications which have a use case where your messages are not saved to a central server.  However, both products provide a Desktop client which syncs to the phone directly.

Does anyone have any experience building an application with this use case?  Are their any open libraries to look at and think about?  If not, do we want to build something to facilitate this type of behavior?

If there is interest I can write up some simple use cases and possible solutions which we can iterate ideas on.

Summers

Re: FeedHenry Desktop Bridge

Vojtech Sazel
Hi,

I'm not sure, isn't it WebRTC? I played with that a little bit. You usually don't need any server for most of P2P connections, only signaling server and STUN server. On some stricter networks you'll need relaying server.

Vojtěch

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Vojtech Sazel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure, isn't it WebRTC? I played with that a little bit. You usually don't need any server for most of P2P connections, only signaling server and STUN server. On some stricter networks you'll need relaying server.

Interesting.  I never thought of WebRTC as being used for not video, but it looks like it is a more general protocol as well.

Vojtěch

Dne 1. 5. 2017 5:39 PM napsal uživatel "Summers Pittman" <[hidden email]>:
WhatsApp and Allo are both messaging applications which have a use case where your messages are not saved to a central server.  However, both products provide a Desktop client which syncs to the phone directly.

Does anyone have any experience building an application with this use case?  Are their any open libraries to look at and think about?  If not, do we want to build something to facilitate this type of behavior?

If there is interest I can write up some simple use cases and possible solutions which we can iterate ideas on.

Summers

Re: FeedHenry Desktop Bridge

Vojtech Sazel
P2P communication between mobile clients, web browsers using WebRTC is very interesting thing.
Check my code here https://github.com/wojta/serverless-webrtc-android and also links from the README there. Mine is native Android app and that guy Chris Ball has sample for web browser and Node.js command line app.

And also there is Webtorrent - https://webtorrent.io/ that uses WebRTC.

Vojtěch

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wojciech Trocki
WhatsApp is pretty verbose about their architecture.

Top level overview:

"When you receive a message, it gets delivered to your phone first. Every whatsapp account has an unique id, which is sent securely to the url you get from the QR code of the web client. Then, the web client polls your mobile for messages time to time. Thus, to use the web client your smartphone has to be connected to the internet.

More detailed info:

There are couple unofficial clients:

WOJCIECH TROCKI

SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Vojtech Sazel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Leigh Griffin
CCing Brendan on this (and getting him to sign up to the list as well!)

Brendan has a lot of WebRTC experience from a past life!

Leigh

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ENGINEERING MANAGER, MOBILE

Red Hat Ireland

Communications House, Cork Road

Waterford City, Ireland X91NY33

[hidden email]    M: <a href="tel:+353877545162" style="color:rgb(0,136,206);font-size:11px;margin:0px" target="_blank">+353877545162     IM: lgriffin