Improving feedhenry.org

pmdarrow
Administrator
Hi all,

When I visit http://feedhenry.org/, it's hard for me to tell what the FeedHenry project is or what it can do for me. I'm currently shown a large ad for Raincatcher, and mentions of Mobile SDKs and templates, but there's no high level outline of what FeedHenry does. Below the fold in the "Develop, Deploy, Manage and Monitor" section there are a few sentences that sort of give a summary, but I think we could do a little better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Raincatcher an application built with FeedHenry and not the platform itself? What are your thoughts on creating a more focused landing page with clearly outlined features? One project I've contributed to does a great job of this: http://locust.io/. Are we waiting until the entire platform is open-sourced before highlighting it like this?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Improving feedhenry.org

John Frizelle
Hi Peter,

I'd love to see some additions and improvements to feedhenry.org - especially with the open sourcing of the Build Farm and MBaaS on the way.

Up to now, we had been trying to restrict what we talked about to be just the current OSS components, but perhaps we should give a broader overview of the whole solution and then detail which parts are already OSS (lit up links) and which parts are yet to come (greyed out with no links) -- just an example of how we might achieve it.

Please feel free to circulate any ideas / suggestions / concepts or even Github branches (the code is hosted here: https://github.com/feedhenry/feedhenry.github.com)

Cheers,
John.

--
John Frizelle
Platform Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 24 November 2016 at 20:35, Peter Darrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the background John, I kind of expected that was the case. I wouldn't really call myself a web designer or marketer, so while I can try to provide input, I'm not sure it will be the best. I would simply try to mimic other open source project pages that I think do a good job.

Do we have any designers within Red Hat that would be able to help with something like this? Just a thought!

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 4:47 PM, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Martin
Any thoughts on adding a 'community libraries' section to feedhenry.org?

I'm thinking just a list of modules users have created to help using or developing on the platform.

e.g.
- fhlog https://github.com/evanshortiss/fhlog JavaScript log library for client and cloud with a great API. Logs are timestamped, and can be saved and uploaded to a server.
- fh-rest-sync-proxy https://github.com/feedhenry-staff/fh-rest-sync-proxy Proxy $fh.sync calls from a client to an MBaaS Service that exposes a RESTful API
- rhmap-auth https://github.com/Keyang/rhmap-auth A library to validate RHMAP platform credentials
- rhmap-stats https://www.npmjs.com/package/rhmap-stats RedHat Mobile Application system monitoring and stats lib

(probably lots more)

Also, I don't see fhc mentioned on the site. Probably one that deserves its own section?

On 24 November 2016 at 21:09, Peter Darrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Improving feedhenry.org

Matthias Wessendorf

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Peter Darrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the background John, I kind of expected that was the case. I wouldn't really call myself a web designer or marketer, so while I can try to provide input, I'm not sure it will be the best. I would simply try to mimic other open source project pages that I think do a good job.

Do we have any designers within Red Hat that would be able to help with something like this? Just a thought!

the team from Catherine Robson would be the one to contact for these kind of things

-M

[...]

Project lead AeroGear.org

Re: Improving feedhenry.org

Matthias Wessendorf

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any thoughts on adding a 'community libraries' section to feedhenry.org?

I'm thinking just a list of modules users have created to help using or developing on the platform.

e.g.
- fhlog https://github.com/evanshortiss/fhlog JavaScript log library for client and cloud with a great API. Logs are timestamped, and can be saved and uploaded to a server.
- fh-rest-sync-proxy https://github.com/feedhenry-staff/fh-rest-sync-proxy Proxy $fh.sync calls from a client to an MBaaS Service that exposes a RESTful API
- rhmap-auth https://github.com/Keyang/rhmap-auth A library to validate RHMAP platform credentials
- rhmap-stats https://www.npmjs.com/package/rhmap-stats RedHat Mobile Application system monitoring and stats lib

(probably lots more)

hard to update, and keep in sync.

I'd recommend linking to a wiki (A list of community powered FeedHenry projects). Were folks can just dump their repos