[MCP] Proposal for file storage service

Wojciech Trocki
Hi lads

I'm representing RainCatcher team.
As a team we are planning to work on the functionality that possibly may also exist as MCP service.

Introduction

Ability to store files (large binary data) is really common for the mobile applications.
In most of the corporate use cases files cannot be saved on the public storage clouds like ICloud, Google drive etc.
Previous versions of RHMAP had unofficial version of the file storage template that was widely used.

Adding file storage as service will directly address common problem for most of the corporate mobile developers.
Ability to use file storage service behind Keycloak service may help to validate security use cases.

Technical details:

Service will consist of the server side file server (similar to sync service).
Implementation will be delivered in TypeScript. Storage will use GridFS by default, but it will be swappable by using interface.
Additionally service will provide client (Cordova for the moment but we may support ReactNative in future)

Is this service useful/interesting for MCP team?

Context

As a team we need to deliver File/Image storage functionality, but also make sure that it will be usable even outside RainCatcher solution.
I have read about and tried MCP for the last couple days and it looks really interesting.
I'm working now (in my spare time) on spiking integration for RainCatcher project with MCP.
Focusing mostly on using external sync and Keycloak service.
As  a team we will widely benefit from MPC (it will simplify our OpenShift deployment).
Additionally team can upskill in OpenShift and MCP while delivering this service.

Regards
--

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Re: [Feedhenry-raincatcher] [MCP] Proposal for file storage service

David Martin
Hi Wojciech,

An object storage sounds like a useful Mobile Service.
If the service has a docker image that doesn't require special privileges, then it should be good for running on OpenShift.
How it could fit in nicely with the 5.x work is having Mobile clients/libraries and examples for different platforms and languages.
e.g. Java & Kotlin for Android, Swift for iOS, js/browser for Cordova, js for React Native.

Are you already decided on GridFS?
Is there a comparison you have done on different store types?

Have you looked into any kubernetes addons?

On 15 October 2017 at 18:31, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: [Feedhenry-raincatcher] [MCP] Proposal for file storage service

John Frizelle
+1 on a file / object storage service and on Dave's comments around client libs. Under the 5.x model, we are developing stand alone libs for each service, but with some level of common structure (still TBD I think - it's basically a plugin architecture client side for passing config from the core module to each "plugin" at startup)

On the server side storage engine side, my ask is that you look at ceph and gluster as potential storage engines - this would help advance the 5.x integration objectives. I know that the folks on the ops team have looked at these in quite a bit of detail, so should have some good insights to share.

Cheers,
John.

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 16 October 2017 at 09:57, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks of response

 1) Are you already decided on GridFS?

We will abstract from actual storage, similar how sync abstract from the database solution.
Gridfs will be just provided as default implementation. We need to have something that will work outside the box)

> 2) Is there a comparison you have done on different store types?

Server side will provide interface so any possible storage can be used.
We trying to focus on resolving file storage (offline sync) problem on the mobile.
Server side is open and for the moment we may want to use something that is already available for RainCatcher developers (GridFS)

Have you looked into any kubernetes addons? e.g. Minio https://docs.minio.io/

That may be added later as alternative implementation along with other like NFS, Ceph.
This will fit perfectly to interface we going to build. Target is to get something out there as spike, while still meeting RainCatcher functional requirements.

How it could fit in nicely with the 5.x work is having Mobile clients/libraries and examples for different platforms and languages.

We can provide only Javascript/Cordova initially. ReactNative later.