Mobile Control Panel (5.x) First Look

David Martin
Hi all,

I'm pleased to share a first look at the Mobile Control Panel.
We are nearly 1 month into the development and would like to share what we have and get your feedback.
This is a 3 month POC that aims to become the foundation for RH Mobile 5.0.

So, here's a 10 minute video that shows what we have

Video TLDR;
The Mobile Control Panel (MCP) helps you setup a Mobile Service (Sync) in OpenShift and integrate a Cordova App with the provisioned Sync service.

I'm look forward to any feedback (good & bad).
If you would like to poke around, please check out the source at https://github.com/feedhenry/mobile-control-panel
So once that lands (hopefully later today), you can try it out.

If you have any questions, you can ask right here or on #feedhenry irc on freenode.

Thanks

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Mobile Control Panel (5.x) First Look

Wojciech Trocki
Demo looks really awesome. I just have couple questions that will help me to understand basic concepts.

1) What's the biggest difference between mobile-panel and creating openshift template to be available in standard UI?
I see that we done UI modifications, but I'm mostly interested how this can be extended.
Can we for example have push service that will have some UI elements to send push notification?

2) What is the main purpose of the mobile app?
Want to make sure that I undestand the concept properly. Having mobile app in container platform may mean many things. Is that used as something like "RHMAP connection tag"?

3) Are looking to get some community contributors as well or is too early?

4) Do you think we can push example you demoing to sync-js repo? - it looks awesome!
It's the best looking sync example I seen so far.

Regards

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey Wojciech,

Thanks for the questions.
I've left some comments inline below.

On 18 August 2017 at 15:30, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
Demo looks really awesome. I just have couple questions that will help me to understand basic concepts.

1) What's the biggest difference between mobile-panel and creating openshift template to be available in standard UI?
I see that we done UI modifications, but I'm mostly interested how this can be extended.
Can we for example have push service that will have some UI elements to send push notification?
We're leverage OpenShift UI extensions to do a few things:
- adding the Mobile category for the Service Catalog
- adding the 'Mobile' left nav item
- allowing custom javascript, css & html to be loaded from a location configured on the openshift master

By having custom javascript, we can add or even override AngularJS routes, templates etc...
However, that's a lot of power, and could lead to incompatibilities with future OpenShift versions

and here

2) What is the main purpose of the mobile app?
Want to make sure that I undestand the concept properly. Having mobile app in container platform may mean many things. Is that used as something like "RHMAP connection tag"?
Yeah, I think its a little early for the idea of a Mobile App being represented in Openshift to make sense.
I think an RHMAP connection tag is a reasonable comparison, particularly if we went with a 'phone home on startup' approach to dynamically configure the App.
Something to work out i think.

3) Are looking to get some community contributors as well or is too early?
Always! Its open season I say :)
Check out the 'good first contributions' tag on github issues if you like.
Or if you just want to play around and find some bugs & fix em, Super!

4) Do you think we can push example you demoing to sync-js repo? - it looks awesome!
It's the best looking sync example I seen so far.
Do you mean link to the video from the repo, or do something else?
I've no problem with linking to the video.
The code being used for the client, server & sample app are all on github already.

[...]

Thanks for answers.

> Do you mean link to the video from the repo, or do something else?

I was looking for sync demo app you were using in demo, but I see now that is already being published to feedhenry.
Great work!

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki