Mobile Control Panel Demo

Aiden Keating
Hey everyone,

We've recorded a demo about the work we've been doing recently on the Mobile Control Panel (MCP). The main focus of the demo is service integrations, namely integrating keycloak with a sync server in order to protect the server. Along with this we also show how to integrate an app with an external service. You can view the demo here:

A few afterthoughts.

Both the server [1] and client [2] that were used in the demo will pick up on changes in available services.

For example, when Keycloak is integrated with the sync server a file is created on the server by the MCP. The server checks whether this file exists and will configure Keycloak based on the files contents. If the file does not exist the server will not use Keycloak. This is why the server code did not need to be changed when the Keycloak integration was made. Same with the client.

There's also a bit more to the integrations screen than we can see in the video. Once an integration is made, for example integrating sync with keycloak, the Mobile Integrations tab for sync will update to tell us how to integrate sync and keycloak together.

I've included screenshots to show how this tab looks for the sync server before the Keycloak integration [3] and after [4]. The code snippets in this tab will soon be updated to reflect a real example.

Thanks,
Aiden

Re: Mobile Control Panel Demo

John Frizelle
Really excellent demo Aiden :-)

This is really starting to come together nicely.

Can you add a link to the client app source code to the You Tube description?

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 15 September 2017 at 10:42, Aiden Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Evan Shortiss
Excellent demo - mad bonus points for the Rick reference!

Some quick questions if you don't mind?
  1. The UI popup about write access being denied. Is there some underlying code like sdk.service('fh-sync').userHasRole('sync_write') that we didn't see for this?
  2. When you mentioned sync write the request is denied if the call is made directly to the sync API. Does this mean the sync server receives the request, checks for a token, then processes it? Or, is the request stopped before it reaches the sync server? It appears to be the former, but just clarifying.
  3. Do we provide a mobile-esque wrapper for the Keycloak SDK or just recommend using the standard keycloak libs?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Pavel Sturc <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MOBILE PRACTICE ARCHITECT, RED HAT MOBILE

Los Angeles, USA

[hidden email]  M: <a href="tel:+1-781-354-2834" style="color:rgb(0,136,206);font-size:11px;margin:0px" target="_blank">+1-781-354-2834

Re: Mobile Control Panel Demo

David Martin
Hey Evan,

a few responses inline.

On 15 September 2017 at 20:06, Evan Shortiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent demo - mad bonus points for the Rick reference!

Some quick questions if you don't mind?
  1. The UI popup about write access being denied. Is there some underlying code like sdk.service('fh-sync').userHasRole('sync_write') that we didn't see for this?

and those rules are checked on a few of the pages
  1. When you mentioned sync write the request is denied if the call is made directly to the sync API. Does this mean the sync server receives the request, checks for a token, then processes it? Or, is the request stopped before it reaches the sync server? It appears to be the former, but just clarifying.
There are 2 places I've found here in fh-sync-server where it protects all endpoints with middleware to check the role against the access token
and check permissions for processing of pending updates

  1. Do we provide a mobile-esque wrapper for the Keycloak SDK or just recommend using the standard keycloak libs?
Looks like there's a lightweight wrapper for the Cordova example.

The server uses the keycloak-connect module.

[...]

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Mobile Control Panel Demo

Craig Robinson
Brilliant Aiden. You're a natural. 👍

"if you didn't write it down, it didn't happen" - Clifford Stoll

CRAIG ROBINSON

SENIOR CLOUD OPERATIONS ENGINEER, RED HAT MOBILE

Red Hat QLD

193 North Quay, BRISBANE, QLD, Australia

[hidden email]    M: <a href="tel:+61-431-913-345" style="color:rgb(0,136,206);font-size:11px;margin:0px;text-decoration:none" target="_blank">+61-431-913-345    IM: crarobin    TZ: UTC+10

On 16 September 2017 at 22:02, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Ffrench
Absolutely fantastic demo Aiden. Great content, great flow, informative and excellent dialogue throughout.

A couple of questions:

  1. When provisioning the MCP, can we provision the MCP without having to go back to the service catalogue? If that is not possible, is it possible to go directly to the MCP service in the catalogue and not have to provision a mobile service (e.g. Cordova app)?
  2. When integrating Keycloak to the sync server, the user needs to go into the sync server > Integrations > Mobile Service integrations and integrate Keycloak. Is it possible to make this easier by allowing drag and drop on the mobile tab?
  3. When the Wubba Lubba Dub Dub service is added, i may have missed it but didn’t see it being added as a mobile integration to the Cordova app. It got added automatically, is this just for demo purposes to show what is possible? What happens if there are multiple mobile apps under the project?

Best Regards,

DAVID FFRENCH

senior software engineer, RED HAT MOBILE

Red Hat Waterford

Communications House, Cork Road

Waterford, Ireland

[hidden email]

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Craig Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Craig Brookes
  1. When provisioning the MCP, can we provision the MCP without having to go back to the service catalogue? If that is not possible, is it possible to go directly to the MCP service in the catalogue and not have to provision a mobile service (e.g. Cordova app)?
  2. When integrating Keycloak to the sync server, the user needs to go into the sync server > Integrations > Mobile Service integrations and integrate Keycloak. Is it possible to make this easier by allowing drag and drop on the mobile tab?
  3. When the Wubba Lubba Dub Dub service is added, i may have missed it but didn’t see it being added as a mobile integration to the Cordova app. It got added automatically, is this just for demo purposes to show what is possible? What happens if there are multiple mobile apps under the project?
1) You will be able to go directly to the mcp modal shortly once we get an upstream PR closed
2) Possibly :) PRs welcome :)
3) Aiden already had code ready to consume that service. For each service you would need to configure your client to talk to it based on the configuration returned from MCP.

Craig

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM, David Ffrench <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

RHMAP
@maleck13 Github

Re: Mobile Control Panel Demo

Evan Shortiss
Thanks for the answers Dave. If I had been paying attention I would have seen the damn links!

+1 for that suggestion on making the Integration possible from a higher level.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:23 AM, David Ffrench <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Laura Fitzgerald
Great demo Aiden, well done to all involved in the MCP.

In relation to the cli tool, is it an option/would it be beneficial to integrate the functionality offered by the mcp cli upstream to OpenShifts cli tool (oc) rather than having a separate tool for mobile?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Evan Shortiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Red Hat Mobile

Communications House, Cork Road

Waterford City, Ireland X91NY33

[hidden email]    IM: lfitzgerald

Re: Mobile Control Panel Demo

Craig Brookes
In relation to the cli tool, is it an option/would it be beneficial to integrate the functionality offered by the mcp cli upstream to OpenShifts cli tool (oc) rather than having a separate tool for mobile?

Currently the cli is in a very early stage. I don't see it being integrated into oc currently. As an aside, early on in PoC we tried out creating a kubernetes based API server that would allow using the oc cli for the mobile actions if it was deployed. We are not currently following that approach, due to concerns with it needing to be installed at the cluster level, and because it would require a number of permissions to be granted to the server that only a cluster admin can give. The approach also raised questions around how it would work in OpenShift online and OpenShift dedicated.  Currently we are pursing an approach where the UI is installed at a cluster level (no need to manage the ui once it is installed) but the server is deployed to each namespace and integrates tightly with the Kubernetes API to store data and manage secrets etc.