Normalize Feedhenry repo names

Daniel Passos
Hi All,

I was chatting with Wojtek Trocki this morning about sync and I have suggested to the new repos following the same pattern we have on AeroGear

## For libraries:

feedhenry-[platform]-[feature]-[languege]

### Examples:

feedhenry-android-sync-java
feedhenry-android-sync-kotlin
feedhenry-ios-sync-objc
feedhenry-ios-sync-swift
feedhenry-cordova-sync

## For example/cookbook/apps/templates

feedhenry-[platform]-[feature]-[language]-app

### Examples

feedhenry-android-sync-java-app
feedhenry-android-sync-kotlin-app
feedhenry-ios-sync-objc-app
feedhenry-ios-sync-swift-app
feedhenry-cordova-sync-app

I know maybe FeedHenry in the start of the repo name can be a little redundant on the GitHub but not on your machine when you have a lot of projects and it also will also prevent to have the same name of other libraries ;)

--
-- Passos

Re: Normalize Feedhenry repo names

Jason Madigan
Sounds like a good suggestion to me. And with GH, there's basically 0-cost to renaming repos with redirects in place, so would get a +1 from me.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Engineering Manager, Red Hat Mobile

Re: Normalize Feedhenry repo names

Wojciech Trocki
I do not mind any name changes until we will be consistent.
Currently we have:

https://github.com/feedhenry/fh-sync

New repository:

We have two options
1) Name android and ios using `fh` prefix (fh-sync-android, fh-sync-ios)
2) Rename all to `feedhenry-..`

First option seems better to me.

Regards

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Jason Madigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have no problem to use fh- instead of feedhenry, just wanna have a whatever FeedHenry prefix. What I really wanna have is the repo using a pattern  fh-[platform]-[feature]-[language]

Like:

fh-js-sync
fh-android-sync-java
fh-ios-sync-objc
fh-ios-swift-objc

Maybe we can use fh-js-sync-server or whatever you like for the server repo

Wdyt?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Frizelle
Generally in favour of this.

2 questions:
1. Do we need both platform and language?
fh-android-sync-java
What about JavaScript and Xamarin
fh-js-sync-js ?
fh-cordova-sync-js ?
fh-xamarin-sync-dotnet ?

2. Should the feature come before the platform - e.g.
fh-android-sync
fh-ios-sync
vs
fh-sync-android
fh-sync-ios

I *think* it should be platform first so that everything related to android / ios / cordova is grouped, but wanted to ask the question...

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 15 August 2017 at 16:25, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In our case we talking about 'project' instead of feature so format fh-[project]
-[language/platform] seems to be better suited (at least I see this being adapted in other os projects)
Once we detach project it can possibly live their own life (it can be even renamed).

Maybe we can use fh-js-sync-server or whatever you like for the server repo

That's really hard to decode. Sync server is just... fh-sync

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile

IM: wtrocki

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

supittma
Administrator

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Generally in favour of this.

2 questions:
1. Do we need both platform and language?
fh-android-sync-java
What about JavaScript and Xamarin
fh-js-sync-js ?
fh-cordova-sync-js ?
fh-xamarin-sync-dotnet ?

I think that we need language where it is relevant.  In the case of Xamarin and Windows the .Net is (often) redundant.  In Android the java until VERY recently was redundant, but isn't any more.

I think I can spin it around a little.  If I see "fh-js-sync" then I expect it to work anywhere a javascript interpreter is.  So this means I can embed it in Rhino, .Net, Electron, React Native, or Cordova.  Likewise with "fh-dotNet-sync" I think it should work in Mono, Xamarin, Windows, etc.  But these flow from the expectation that the platform is the second selector.  Does that make sense?

2. Should the feature come before the platform - e.g.
fh-android-sync
fh-ios-sync
vs
fh-sync-android
fh-sync-ios

I *think* it should be platform first so that everything related to android / ios / cordova is grouped, but wanted to ask the question...

The answer is do we expect people to look for android on feedhenry or sync on feedhenry when they are browsing github.