Re: AWS AppSync (Data Sync built aroundGraphQL)

Re: AWS AppSync (Data Sync built aroundGraphQL)

Wojciech Trocki
Moving to mobile-dev to avoid spamming

@Evan - Thank you so much for sharing this!
I reviewed AWS AppSync documentation to learn more about approaches they use.
Graphql for transport and comprehensive sdks provide really good base for sync services.
AppSync has many good patterns and solutions that we can learn from and apply to our domain.

Google Firebase already has answer to AWS AppSync called Cloud Firestore which is also in beta stage (with public access)

Both services have common limitations - no open source code and possibility to run server on your own.
Apart from AWS and Firebase we have many open source players without that limitations:

I'm in process of comparing architectures (already seeing multiple common elements).
This will allow us to get some overview of best patterns for building and using API's, SDK's, transports (websockets etc.) used in industry.

Inline image 1

After 3 weeks I finally got approval from AWS for access to AWS AppSync beta.
Beta is not open to the public so if you guys want to try this let me know.

Regards

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Karel Piwko <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know that Serhii has been experimenting with GraphQL as well. He might have some feedback to share.

Cheers,

Karel

On 29 November 2017 at 09:58, Craig Brookes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting. Graphql is an interesting choice and probably something that we should look into for our sync service, it seems very useful for mobile devices, allowing for querying and only returning small subsets of the data

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Evan Shortiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

Interesting news from AWS today on the mobile front. They announced a Data Sync product named AppSync[1]

It's pretty interesting that they've bet on GraphQL as the API layer.

[1] - https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/introducing-amazon-appsync/

--

EVAN SHORTISS

MOBILE DEVELOPER