Re: [Feature request] Allow to create project with mongo database that is already migrated.

Re: [Feature request] Allow to create project with mongo database that is already migrated.

John Frizelle
I added some comments to the trello ticket - copying them here for visibility...

The problem with this approach (and the reason we have historically used shared DB) is that a new empty DB in MongoDB 2.x requires ~300MB of disk space - that's a HUGE overhead for every single app created (especially considering that a large % of apps created are hello world style apps that do not require dedicated DB). In MongoDB 3.x, there is pretty much a 0 overhead on creating a new DB - i.e. it does not pre-allocate 100's of MB of disk space. So, I think we either need to wait until we have 3.X MongoDB or be able to indicate in the project/app/service template if it requires a dedicated DB and only create the dedicated DB for those templates that need it.

--
John Frizelle
Platform Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 21 November 2016 at 16:22, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
TL;DR - New cloud apps and services should use direct mongo db access. Migration should be used only for legacy projects.

We require database migrations for the new apps mostly because of historical reasons. We should enable creation of service and cloud app with direct access to the mongo database. Creating ditch type database doesn't make any sense at the moment because in most of the guides and services we require database to be migrated straightaway.

That's would improve our guides and would mean way less hassle for customers. Conor mentioned this numerous times in some of high level requirements documents. This functionality was also confirmed to be really useful for consulting. Sometimes developers forgot to migrate database and fh-ditch is used in production which is causing some performance and access problems and involve painful database migration.

This feature may be also mentioned in various tickets and different contexts.
Purpose of this emails is to determine some blockers (do we still have to use ditch by default) and provide some general actions.

Regards
--
Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile