Re: [feedhenry-dev] Using mailing list as main source of new functionalities

Re: [feedhenry-dev] Using mailing list as main source of new functionalities

Wojciech Trocki

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone

We want to keep our backlog consistent and clean from ideas that may not be addressed in near future. To provide some collaboration space we created new trello board.
Why duplication over jira? This matches some agile approach: "When backlog has some tickets that would not be part of roadmap for the next 6 months then they should be removed from backlog :] ".

I would like to ask all interesting parties about opinion on using Trello vs Mailing List

Why we created trello and decided to not use mailing list (IMHO)

Positive parts:

- Simplicity
- Defaulting to one source (email)
- Easy to contribute - just sent email.

Negative parts:

- No overview and visibility for our roadmap - just bunch of emails.
- No way to retrieve emails before signed to group
- No way to stage and label issues for customers and better visibility
- Mixed content - feature request can be mixed with other non related email threads like this one.

Regards

--
Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile

--
Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile

Re: Using mailing list as main source of new functionalities

David Martin
I initially created the trello board as a landing ground and discussion area for features requests and enhancements.
A way for users to give their feedback and make sure their voice was heard before an action was taken ('action was taken' meaning something was added to the Jira backlog)
The mailing list didn't even come into mind as the place for that to happen.

Thanks to Summers for bringing it up with me, I think using trello for this is probably not the best way forward.
The mailing list makes so much sense, and I really should have thought of it.

Where I think we're lacking, and some other teams have found it useful, is having the team roadmap view visible.
All our backlog is ultimately in Jira.
The roadmap is hidden away in our Jira backlog in the form of issues & Epics.
Is there a way to better visualise the backlog at the 'roadmap' level?
Is that something people would find useful?

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Using mailing list as main source of new functionalities

Wojciech Trocki
We have already installed agile road plugin that is using some variation of gantt chart.

I think that trello would be good solution for exposing roadmap.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 6:03 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Frizelle
JIRA portfolios may also be an option.

I know Leigh has been looking into this a bit so might be able to shed some more light on it's potential fit here.

--
John Frizelle
Platform Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 21 November 2016 at 18:16, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Leigh Griffin
I think Portfolios fit this perfectly as they can allow you create Initiatives which can have multiple Epics wrapped around them. See this link:

Check out Portfolios in this video, good 18 minute overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LexaHkZls3g

I'm not happy with the performance of Portfolios on the last version of JIRA, it was grinding to a halt. A large part of that was the volume of tickets we had not just on the RHMAP project but interconnected projects. The performance issue was related to the huge number of release versions that we carry across all projects and as a forward roadmapping tool it was struggling.

However I'm happy to try it with DevX which is on a separate board and only drawing from a subset of 2 projects and 3 epics.  I just created the Portfolio for you now and performance looks to be decent. I added Wojciech and Dave as people with write access (and John & Jason & I). I don't want to open write access to a lot of people initially because this is fully integrated into JIRA and you can push metadata to tickets. So don't sync anything unless you know what you are doing. Watch the video, reach out to me and I can jump on a quick call with you and lets see how it goes.

Mobile Team have view permissions just to check it out.

Leigh.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:34 PM, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Engineering Manager,
Red Hat,
Waterford,
Ireland

Re: Using mailing list as main source of new functionalities

Wojciech Trocki
@John/@Leigh - I checked video and plugin documentation.
Portfolio (agile roadmap plugin) seems to be really good solution for project planning. We trying now to reorganize our backlog into more smaller and detailed epics and then we would need to evaluate this option. I think that it would fit to the main purpose and we can make this public so customers can see when interesting stuff would be completed. Thanks for inspiration!

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Leigh Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Big thanks for Leigh for huge inspiration. Tool looks awesome and can help us to reorganize epics:

What I particularly like is reports section where we can see how we following our main roadmap :]

Regards