Renaming Hello World Temapltes

supittma
Administrator
The Dex[E]XP team is removing the blank templates in favor of the hello world templates in Studio.

This lead to a discussion about whether or not rename "Hello World" to something that better communicates "We want you to build an app based on this template".

So several questions.

1 ) Should we rename Hello World templates?
2 ) What should the new name be?  I would suggest just calling them "Mobile Cloud App", and, "Mobile $PLATFORM Client"

Summers

Re: Renaming Hello World Temapltes

Wojciech Trocki
I'm pro renaming.

My suggestions:

- NO NAME  - just technology. So instead of "Gradle "Hello World" App/Project" use "Gradle App"
- Starter App/Project
- Kickstarter App/Project,

Regards

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Dex[E]XP team is removing the blank templates in favor of the hello world templates in Studio.

This lead to a discussion about whether or not rename "Hello World" to something that better communicates "We want you to build an app based on this template".

So several questions.

1 ) Should we rename Hello World templates?
2 ) What should the new name be?  I would suggest just calling them "Mobile Cloud App", and, "Mobile $PLATFORM Client"

Summers

Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile

Re: Renaming Hello World Temapltes

Paolo Haji de Carvalho Bueno
+1 for "just technology" or "- Starter"

In the context of the template selection screen and even the github org there's already context to indicate that the items are templates. "-starter" if we really keen on a suffix.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paolo Bueno
Software Engineer
Red Hat Mobile Application Platform

Re: Renaming Hello World Temapltes

John Frizelle
I would suggest just using the category [1] to indicate that they are hello world / starter rather than having it in the name.

--
John Frizelle
Platform Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 1 December 2016 at 16:17, Paolo Haji de Carvalho Bueno <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Martin
So, the current categories are:
* Sample Projects
* Samples
* Forms
* Developer Tools
* Blank
* Tech Preview

The plan is to end up with a list of Project Templates like this:
* Hello World Project (not factoring in a rename yet) (will include all hello app tempaltes)
* Forms Project
* Bare Project (renaming to Empty Project)
* Welcome Project (includes all welcome app templats)
* Push Notification Starter
* SAML Example Project
* Sync Framework Project
* WFM Demo Project
* Mobile Spec Project

Here's a suggestion for what the corresponding Categories could be:
* Starter (Bare Project, Hello World Project & Forms Project)
* SDK Examples (Welcome Project, Push Notification Starter, SAML Example Project, Sync Framework Project)
* Developer Tools (Mobile Spec Project)
* Tech Preview (WFM Demo Project)

Feedback welcome

On 1 December 2016 at 17:03, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Renaming Hello World Temapltes

pwright

Template names should be consistent and provide just enough information for user to understand context.
Details can be included in description (eg whether the resulting app will echo ‘hello world’), or in the category.

Proposal 1
[RHMAP*](Technology...)[<level>](Project|Cloud App|Client App|Forms App)[<purpose in terms of tech>]

*  Indicates official support, distinguishes template from customer template

For example
RHMAP iOS Swift Starter Client App
RHMAP iOS Objective-C Client App  for SAML

Proposal 2
[Red Hat*](Technology...)[<level>](Project|Cloud App|Client App|Forms App)[<purpose in english>]

*  Indicates official support, distinguishes template from customer template

For example:
Red Hat iOS Swift SAML Example Client App to demonstrate Authentication
Red Hat Cordova Starter Forms App