Update to workflow for APB development

Phil Brookes

Hello Everyone,

The current development workflow for APB’s is to run a local oc cluster with the ASB scanning the feedhenry docker org for APB images. Then pushing our development images to the feedhenry repo to test them.

As more developers start using these images we increase the possibility that they will pull a broken development image which could lead to a pretty significant waste of developer time trying to identify the problem and could also reduce developers trust in the feedhenry APB images.

To address this it is now only possible to update the APB images in the feedhenry org via a merged PR to the master branch of that images github repo.

To develop your own changes to an APB you should instead point the ASB of your local oc cluster at your own docker org and push a copy of any APBs you wish to use into that org from the feedhenry org. When building experimental APB images you should update the image in that APB’s apb.yml file, and use make DOCKERORG=<yourorg> to build and push the development APB image.

I will be updating the ansible installer in the mcp-standalone repo to automatically pull the APB images from feedhenry and push them into the specified dockerorg in the near future, so we have less manual work to do.

Any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thanks,
Phil.

Re: Update to workflow for APB development

John Frizelle
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the mail & agree with the suggestions.

Are there any docs available that detail how to "point the ASB of your local oc cluster at your own docker org and push a copy of any APBs you wish to use into that org from the feedhenry org"?

Cheers,
John.

--
John Frizelle
Chief Architect, Red Hat Mobile

mobile: <a href="tel://+353872901644" target="_blank">+353 87 290 1644
twitter: @johnfriz
skype: john_frizelle

On 10 October 2017 at 15:55, Phil Brookes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey John,

For pointing the oc cluster at your local docker, that is done from the installer directory of the mcp-standalone cluster:

ansible-playbook playbook.yml -e "dockerhub_username=<dockerusername>" -e "dockerhub_password=<dockerpassword>" -e "dockerhub_org=<USE_THIS_VALUE>" --ask-become-pass

To move the images you need into your own org, you could do something like:

for image in aerogear-digger-apb android-app-apb cordova-app-apb ios-app-apb 3scale-apb keycloak-apb; do docker pull docker.io/feedhenry/$image:latest; docker tag docker.io/feedhenry/$image:latest
​<YOUR_DOCKER_ORG>/$image:latest; docker push <YOUR_DOCKER_ORG>/$image:latest; done
​

There might be a way to improve this (if we could pull the name of all the *-apbs from the docker repo that would be ideal), but this will work for now.​

Let me know if you have any thoughts.
Phil.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM, John Frizelle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info.

I was not really asking how to do it, but more so if we are maintaining docs anywhere that people can refer to for information such as this.

It's a wider question than just this specific HOW TO, so anyone else working on 5.x feel free to chime in.

Cheers,
John.

--

On 11 October 2017 at 09:27, Phil Brookes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David Martin
Hey Phile,
I'd say a section in the local development section of the README is a reasonable place to put this info https://github.com/feedhenry/mcp-standalone#local-development

e.g. 'Developing APBs locally'

IRC: @irldavem (feedhenry, mobile-internal)

Re: Update to workflow for APB development

Phil Brookes

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update this conversation and mention that I have updated the docs in the repo now:
https://github.com/feedhenry/mcp-standalone#developing-apbs-locally

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvements!

Regards,
Phil.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jason Madigan
Think this was mentioned on IRC already, but I think it could be worth moving this into a `docs/` folder doc (and linked from the README) instead. I'd imagine we'll start to add more and more docs, so good to have a handy home in the repo?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Phil Brookes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Engineering Manager, Red Hat Mobile

Re: Update to workflow for APB development

Matthias Wessendorf
this, basically, will be in "docs/development'

and the stuff from the root's README will just link to that doc

Project lead AeroGear.org